Tropical Advisories from Weather Underground

Friday, November 10, 2006

Frying Plantains



I took a picture of John frying up some plantains. Right now we have plantains, oranges, and limes. Plantains look like a large banana. however it does not taste like a banana. You can eat them when they are green, yellow, and black. When they are green you can peel them and slice them real thin and then deep fry them and then salt them. They taste very much like potato chips. When the plantains are ripe and yellow you can peel them, then slice them, and then fry them. Or you can mash them and mix with flour and fry them into like patties. When they are ripe then they taste more like yams. I prefer the green ones.

We also have oranges. The oranges here in Belize happen to be green. The oranges in the U.S. are an orange color, but here in Belize they are a green color. They taste great. Just like an orange.

We also have limes. With the limes we like to make a lime juice drink. We take 2 or 3 limes and cut them in half, then squeeze the juice into a pitcher and add some sugar and water and mix it all up and you have a good drink.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plantain chips? Does Frito-Lay know about that? As for the lime juice, I understand that it's a great cleaning aid as well.

Aldebaran said...

Plantain chips are really good. She has also made french fries out of plantain, I wanted her to mention that, but she didn't because she dosn't like the french fries. Plantain is cool, you can use it anyway you can use a potato.

Lime juice is too precious to use for cleaning. I think very much of ascorbic acid and lime juice is our best source of it.

We have a gecko that is somewhat tame. We have managed to get some decent pictures of it. I am trying to get Chris or John to make a post about it.

Johnny informs me that he has fried some hot dogs, so I need to get in on that before they are all gone.

Anonymous said...

Tom and I watched "Super size me", the movie about the guy who ate McDonald's food every day, every meal for a month and gained 25 lbs. Has your diet changed much since you left America? Has it affected your health? Rice and beans are better for you than fast food. Do you get enough calcium if dairy products are scarce?

Rebecca said...

I think our diet has changed some. We do eat more rice and beans. We eat healthier I think. We don't do fast food. I do heat up hot dogs. I don't know if our health has changed much. Although I don't drink cola much now so I guess that is healthier.

Dairy Products are not all that scarce. Well ok if you want cottage cheese or something like that might be scarce. They have milk but not in the gallon jugs. But we do powered milk. And Johnny makes good grilled cheese sandwiches. So I think we get enough calcium. I do wish they had sales on cheetoes though.