Tropical Advisories from Weather Underground

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Surprise Tropical Karl

an Air Force Reserve hurricane hunter aircraft investigating the low
pressure area in the northwestern Caribbean Sea found a small and
vigorous wind/pressure center inside the larger cyclonic envelope.
The maximum flight-level winds were 41 kt at less than 1500 ft just
east of the center...and the SFMR estimated reliable-looking winds
of 35 kt outside of the heavy rain areas. The minimum central
pressure was 1001 mb. Based on these data...the system is upgraded
straight to Tropical Storm Karl with an initial intensity of 35 kt.
forecaster Beven


What had been just a low pressure zone has become Tropical Storm Karl. This is a surprise. It is going to strike North of here. Not very much north. We should begin to feel the effects in about five hours. The wind speed might be around 50 mph. Rumor has it we will get ALOT of rain. Rumor has it that low lying villages are now being asked to evacuate, and fishing boats are being asked to return. Rumor has my attention because rumor has had it that there was a big storm coming for several days now. I just smiled because I had technology and technology said the nearest big storm was Hurricane Igor way out past the Antilles, which was sure sure to turn North.

Today Rumor had it that the storm had a name, Carl. Again, I just smiled because we are way past the C storms, we are past Gaston and Igor and Julia, and hey uh, how do you spell Carl? K A R L, Mr. John. OH....

Whatever. By the time you read this, it will have hit and be hitting us. Probably, hopefully, we just get a lot of rain. But of course, I am nervous about this.

Here are some pictures that I need to watch all on one page. They should update live.






3 comments:

StormRider said...

My God, John! The latest satellite pic has that just about right on top of you!
Please keep me posted as circumstances allow!
Sending energy your way.
Abiding Love & Peace, and Eternal Support,
- Storm

Aldebaran said...

I think it is going to be ok. The storm must be past us because the wind is now from the west. There is a lot of rain, but not torrential. It rained all night, but the wind was not bad enough to wake us. A quick exploration this morning indicated that everything is fine outside. Don't worry, we will be ok. We have more than half a bottle of rum left.

Aldebaran said...

I might have been wrong, the storm did not hit last night, that was just the edge. It seems to be hitting now.

Rain is now a bit on the torrential side. And the wind is much stronger, now from the South West.

So far the biggest problem is that my sons drank most of the rum over night. We have far less rum than I think is prudent for a situation like this.

There is wicked thunder from the North West. I think that is where the center of the storm is passing. It is not very far away from us I think.

I am also seeing some lightning.

Rebecca is roasting a chicken. But we are out of brown sugar, almost out of white sugar, critically low on limes and rum.

I think we might make it though.