Tropical Advisories from Weather Underground

Sunday, August 14, 2011

A good book


posted by Christopher

Last May, my grandparents came to visit us here. They have visited us every year and this trip the brought a book with them. Books are very important for us because we have not TV. In our somewhat stressful lives we need books. The book the left us is called the Dream Killer by Michael B. Schwartz.

When I opened the epically covered novel, the Dream Killer seized me with its tense plot: it has a Matrix-like element where characters enter another world, the Dream World. The story is gripping throughout the first and second half. Halfway through the story shifts dramatically and almost lost me, however the author manages to pull through it and reinvent the setting and characters in an intriguing and drawing way.

The characters in the story are very well developed. The main protagonist Tracy Kingston almost becomes a new character since the beginning of the story. Even the family members are eerily detailed and fleshed out. Other characters such as Whitaker and Bolan become personal as we get a close look at them. Sister Catherine and Queen Nanaae remain distant, somewhat aloof. This is not a mark of bad writing, you just don''t really know what they're thinking. The villains each have their own separate personalities and eccentricities.

The book is consistently written with a sort of epic theme. It seems to portray the feelings, and understanding, that the fictional events of the novel are derived from the past dictated by fate and is only the beginning of a campaign of epic battles. The Dream Killer is supposed to be only Book One of the Great War Saga.

I am glad I got to read the Dream Killer. I would not say it's an uplifting book, rather a fantastic thriller. The story ends reminding the reader that the War continues. I would like to obtain the sequel, but I don't know how to get it. I thank my grandparents for bringing us this good book. Such stories keep us going.

My grandmother got the book from an online link:

But I can not find a link to the sequel.




3 comments:

StormRider said...

Hola, Christopher!
Como esta usted?
Good post on "The Dream Killer". I got the impression that those who liked the "Matrix" movies (and I did -- very much) would like "The Dream Killer". I look forward to seeing more posts on the blog from you.
I Googled the author's name and found out that "The Dream Killer" was published in February of this year. There was no data on the author's site indicating a sequel to "The Dream Killer" has been published yet.
Your comment about the value of books in the life you are leading reminded me of how 19th-century families living on and working farms read the Bible (and sometimes other classic literature) to enrich their lives and reduce stress.
Encyclopedia Britannica some decades ago published "The Great Books", a list created by scholars of significant writings down through history. More than a few of them were mysteries or adventures (The Iliad, The Odyssey). I recommend them -- and the Bible (as literature) -- to your attention.
I have never regretted the time I invested in learning Latin (and other languages) and reading classic literature. Knowledge of the Bible's stories -- particularly -- opens so many doors to other books and to people.
You are living a great adventure, Chris. Bon chance!
- StormRider

Cousin Laurie said...

I also read the Dream Killer. I was so engrossed. I also cannot wait to read the next book. I believe it's called Forbidden Realms.
I think this series will be the next Harry Potter series. It is sooo good. I found about this book from my brother who first saw about it on facebook.
Thanks for your post Christopher.

MBS said...

Many thanks, Christopher. A friend of mine explained to me that you had written a review of my novel. Your comments are very well thought out and conveyed everything I had wished my readers to take out of the story.

While writing the novel, I wasn't sure how readers would digest the shift in the third part of the story and you told it well. Tracy does, in fact, become a new character.

I wish I could reveal the secrets in store for Forbidden Realms: Book 2 of the Great War Saga, however, it must remain so. What I can tell you is that the nuns are given more book time. And, of this writing, there are three complete novels.

Again, thank you.