Tropical Advisories from Weather Underground

Friday, June 13, 2008

And to walk humbly with your God

My friend's mother died. I can not imagine how shattering it must be for my friend and his family. Three people close to me now have recently lost their mothers. Somehow they manage to go on. I guess it is always like that, but I don't understand how. They must draw a strength from somewhere.

Since I learned of this news, I have thought about his mother. I knew her. He and I grew up together. It is only now that I really realize what sort of person I have known all my life.

She was an uncommonly good person. She was the kind of person the quotes below suggest as an example for the rest of us to emulate.

Colossians 3:12-13
12 So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience;
13 bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.

"To practice the good heart in our everyday life is more important than anything else. "
Lama Zopa Rinpoche

"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved."
Seraphim of Sarov, Saint of the Russian Orthodox Church.

In a state of grace the soul is like a well of limpid water, from which flow only streams of clearest crystal. Its works are pleasing both to God and man, rising from the River of Life, beside which it is rooted like a tree. Otherwise it would produce neither leaves nor fruit, for the waters of grace nourish it, keep it from withering from drought, and cause it to bring forth good fruit.
from THE INTERIOR CASTLE by St. Teresa of Avila

Micah 6:8
8 He has told you, O man, what is good;
And what does the LORD require of you
But to do justice, to love kindness,
And to walk humbly with your God?


SCHUFF, JoAnn
SCHUFF JoAnn. Beloved wife of Arthur Schuff. Dear mother of Patricia (Paul) Flege, Michael (Aletha) Schuff, Margina (Christopher) Honkomp and Victoria Schuff. Grandmother of Andrew, Sara, Cory, Eleanor, Linsey, Zachery, Anthony, Ryan and Noah. Died Monday June 9, 2008. Age 73. Visitation at St. James of the Valley Church, Wyoming, Friday June 13th, from 9:AM until time of Mass at 10:AM. Nurre-Mihovk-Rosenacker Funeral Home serving the family. www.nmrfh.com.
Funeral Home: Nurre Mihovk Rosenacker Funera
Funeral Date: June 13, 10 am

No comments: