Tropical Advisories from Weather Underground

Saturday, May 31, 2008

with a BANG!

A very good friend who sometimes goes by the name of StormRider sent me an email asking if it was raining here. Indeed, after several months with no rain, it has been raining off and on for the past two days.

Christopher and I had taken advantage of a break in the rain to go for a walk. After a long, hot and dusty dry season, we were happy to see the rain. It was very windy and cool, and the sea was very rough.





A very good author who wrote under the name of Talbot Mundy, in 1924 wrote a book called Om: The Secret of Ahbor Valley. It is perhaps, in some ways, one of the best books I have ever read. In that book, he wrote: "But if you think of death in India, you die. To live, you must think of living, and be interested."

Now, I can not help but wonder if you think about bad weather in Belize, will you have bad weather? Because just a day or so ago, I was thinking about Hurricane Dean from last year, and today, StormRider, asked me if it was raining. In my reply to him, I mentioned that there was Tropical Storm Alma in the Pacific that was probably generating our rain. What I did not know was that Tropical Storm Arthur had not bothered to trek across the Atlantic and instead chose to be born right off the coast of Belize, building up in strength during the time I was thinking of last years storm. Perhaps the barometric pressure dropped and the sensation triggered memories from the last time I felt that sensation.

So this evening I checked the weather maps to see if it was tropical storm Alma causing our windy, rainy day. I was very surprised to learn about tropical storm Arthur, and learn it had already passed over us, apparently causing the weather Christopher and I had witnessed.



I also learned that Hurricane season officially starts today...

No comments: